In the ninth issue of The Confessional Presbyterian Journal we finally give Thornwell his due. The editorial view was that the stand out piece is Jeong Koo Jeon’s The Covenant of Creation and the Kingdom of God. The translation piece to go with the topic of Thornwell, is a new translation of Franciscus Gomarus on Roman Catholic Baptism. This issue remains in print.
To purchase this and other volumes see the online store
3. A Sermon on Hebrews 11:7. By James Henley Thornwell
5. James Henley Thornwell: An American Theologian. By C. N. Willborn
21. To the Law and the Testimony: James Henley Thornwell and Jus Divinum Presbyterianism. By Chris Thomas
35. Binding Bodies and Liberating Souls: James Henley Thornwell’s Vision for a Spiritual Church and a Christian Confederacy. By Christopher C. Cooper
48. Carolina Scots, the Westminster Confession, and a Deceased Wife’s Sister. By Barry Waugh
51. Systematic Theology and the Preaching of Samuel Davies. By Breno Macedo
63. William Swan Plumer’s Defense of the Impeccability of Jesus Christ. By Caleb Cangelosi
79. Centennial Addresses Commemorating the Birth of the Reverend James Henley Thornwell. By Barry Waugh, Thomas H. Law, Thornton Whaling, & A. M. Fraser
103. In the Presence of a Common Foe: Billy Sunday and Conservative Presbyterians in the Battle Against Liberalism. By Scott Korljan
123. The Covenant of Creation and the Kingdom of God. By Jeong Koo Jeon
143. No ‘Absolute Impeccability’: Charles Hodge and Christology at Old and New Princeton. By James J. Cassidy
157. Sic et Non. Views in Review: II. Westminster Seminary California Distinctives?
. The Republication of the Covenant of Works. By Cornel Venema with Response by J. V. Fesko
188 Reviews & Responses: Chad Van Dixhoorn, The Minutes and Papers of the Westminster Assembly 1643–1652 (Rowland S. Ward) 188 ■ J. V. Fesko, Word, Water, And Spirit (Ryan M. McGraw) 190 ■ Rejoinder by J. V. Fesko 197 ■ Sur-Rejoinder by Ryan M. McGraw 200 ■ Vern Sheridan Poythress, Logic: A God-Centered Approach to the Foundation of Western Thought (J. C. Keister) 202 ■ Walter H. Conser Jr. and Robert J. Cain, Presbyterians in North Carolina: Race, Politics, and Religious Identity in Historical Perspective (Frank J. Smith) 204 ■ Preston Graham, Jr., A Kingdom Not of This World: Stuart Robinson’s Struggle to Distinguish the Sacred from the Secular During the Civil War (Benjamin Shaw) 210
213 Psallo: Psalm 89:15–29.
216 In Translatiōne: Franciscus Gomarus on Roman Catholic Baptism
224 Antiquary: An Overview and Analysis of George Gillespie’s Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies
. In Brief: Thornwell: The Sacrifice of Christ (20) ■ Death of Dr. Plumer (78)